Outdoor living never seems complete without a deck where you and the family can just relax, play games and create great memories. That’s why a deck remodel remains a favorite upgrade for many homeowners. Not only does it provide a lovely, functional space for a variety of activities, it also boosts the value of your home significantly. And, that’s just with a simple, medium-sized deck – imagine some of the benefits you can enjoy with a multi-level one.
Considerable Square Footage
A single-level deck usually comes with a grilling area, dining area and a spot for lounging – all of that cramped into the same space. A multi-level deck, on the other hand, can expand your recreational space without taking up a lot of your backyard. This makes it a great option for homes with smaller backyards. By building up instead of building out, you can create more functional spaces for your family even with limited square footage.
Doesn’t Require Leveling
Adding a deck to your property can be a challenge when the ground is uneven. But you no longer have to worry about this when you go for a multi-level deck. It doesn’t require leveling, where homeowners typically have to pay someone to flatten the ground before the actual work begins.
Blends Seamlessly With Natural Environment
You’ll want a deck that won’t look out of place with your backyard – and choosing a multi-level deck can ensure this. With its stairs, a multi-level deck offers a smoother transition into your backyard. Just make sure to pick deck boards that match well with your backyard while still complementing other exterior design elements of your home.
Adds Visual Interest to Your Home
Traditional, single-level decks are already an instant focal point in your outdoor space, but multi-level ones offer so much more. They usually come with additional features, such as stairs, railings and even window boxes for flowering plants. You also have the opportunity to customize the design of each level, making them either curved or wavy for greater visual interest.
Provides an Awesome View
If you are fortunate enough to own a home with an incredible view, looking out from a window – even if it’s a large one – can be a bit limiting. A multi-level deck, on the other hand, gives you that enjoyable feeling of not only watching the view, but being a part of it as well. Of course, because you’re a few stories up from the ground, make sure that level of the deck comes with a durable, properly installed railing. It pays to know you’re safe when you’re spending time up there.
Creates Distinct Spaces
A single-level deck can feel a bit crowded after a while. You have a spot for dining at one side and an area for grilling at the other, plus a corner with comfortable seats around a fire pit, all in one place. You’ve probably stubbed your toe on a chair leg more times than you can count. And, the standard deck may not be enough when you’re hosting a large party with guests spilling out to your lawn. This won’t be an issue with a multi-level deck, however. Each level has its own particular purpose.
For example, the first level, and the one closest to the home, typically contains the open-air dining and grilling area. The next one may be used as an entertaining area, where guests can enjoy a more intimate conversation, much like an outdoor living room. The level above that may contain the hot tub or fire pit. Because a multi-level deck designates zones for specific activities, every area feels separate even when the levels are only down a step or two.
Allows for More Storage
Another thing that makes a multi-level deck super handy: you can use the space underneath it to store seasonal furniture and other items because it’s raised. That area can even serve as another patio area that’s “screened” in by the deck on top.
Some Essentials to Consider Before Investing in a Multi-Level Deck
When investing in a multi-level deck, you’ll want to make sure you have all bases covered. After all, this project will greatly affect the overall look and functionality of your home – not to mention your enjoyment of the outdoors.
1. If your home comes with a good view, you’ll want to make the most of it. Plan your new deck’s location and shape with that in mind.
2. You should spend some time in the area where your new deck is going to be at different times of day to determine what kind of lighting you can expect. Too much sunlight can make spending time in the upper deck area uncomfortable so think about adding some shade to that space. At the same time, consider the type of lighting you want to place in the deck – good lighting that can accentuate the structure at nighttime.
3. Consider how foot traffic will move across your deck. You’ll want to make sure the furniture, grill arrangement and other features don’t hamper the flow. You can use short rails or benches that can serve as a subtle cue to direct traffic and separate spaces.
4. A multi-level deck allows people to move through the recreational area in interesting ways, but make sure there are no severe or sudden changes in elevation. Keep the design seamless and safe for everyone by avoiding steps with irregular angles or are difficult to see. You don’t want them to be a tripping hazard.
5. Pick the right type of material for your multi-level deck. There are many different options available today, ranging from classic hardwood to composites. Most also come in a range of vibrant, low-maintenance colors and finishes to better match with your home’s architectural style and exterior palette. The Deck Store, premier patio and deck remodeling company, can help you explore your options and decide on the type that best suits your specific needs.
There are many different ways to customize your deck to your needs, but you’ll want to make sure you’re working with a reliable deck and patio design expert to get the best results. The name to call is The Deck Store. Here’s what makes us your go-to choice for your multi-level deck installation:
1. Licensed and insured: We have all the necessary licensing and insurance, including workers’ compensation and liability coverage, for your greater peace of mind.
2. Experienced: The Deck Store is a fairly new company, but our combined experience in the industry allows us to provide the exceptional customer service and high-quality results you expect. We have always valued honesty, integrity and clear communication between us and our clients.
3. Attention to detail: We make sure we have all the necessary permits and homeowner’s association approvals, and that the work follows municipality codes. When you work with us, we’ll give your patio or deck remodel our fullest attention. And, should you have any questions or concerns, we are more than happy to address them and provide the appropriate solution. Your complete satisfaction is our top priority.
4. High-Quality products: The Deck Store carries stylish and solid decks from Azek®. These deck complexes use high-quality composite materials, which are impervious to extreme weather and rot, allowing for durable and long-lasting performance. Our decks are also low-maintenance: it doesn’t take much to keep them sturdy and good-looking.
Look no further than The Deck Store for a smooth and worry-free multi-level deck installation. We proudly serve the areas in and around New Salem and Bismarck, ND. Call us today at (701) 223-1008, or fill out this contact form to schedule your consultation.