Spring is all about the warmer weather, growing trees and blooming flowers. It is also the perfect time to clean and maintain your outdoor spaces, particularly the deck, especially if damaged during the winter season. A custom decks contractor shares a few essential tips for getting your deck ready for the beautiful springtime.
1. Clean the deck. Start your deck maintenance routine with a thorough wash. Grab a sturdy broom, and get between the boards as well as you can. Make sure to remove all traces of dust, dirt and other debris. Once sweeping is done, exchange the broom for a long-handled brush and a cleaning solution. It is a smart idea to go over the deck one more time and spend a longer time brushing areas with stains and muck.
2. Stain the deck. Once the deck is completely dry, it is time to apply a protective stain or coating. This is to protect the deck from harsh ultraviolet (UV) rays that can otherwise speed up the deterioration of the decking material. Staining the deck also makes the space look more pleasant and inviting.
3. Choose your upgrades. A deck remodel calls for both ornamental and functional upgrades here and there. For example, solar deck lights offer safety and security during nighttime hours. If you are looking for additional shade during the morning, consider adding a pergola or a cantilever umbrella. A deck heater, such as a fire pit or a chiminea, can provide a good amount of heat for your outdoor space.
4. Clean the grill. Spring is ideal for spending more time outdoors, eating and talking with family members, so do not forget to clean your grill. Take apart what you can, and scrub it down well before putting its pieces back together. If you have an existing fire pit or solar deck lights, clean those off, too.
5. Replace the deck. If the onslaught of hail, snow or wind has affected your deck, leaving it badly damaged, then a replacement may be due. Bring in a professional to make sure your deck is well-designed and properly installed, and can last for a long time.
For deck replacement or patio design services in Bismarck, ND, turn to The Deck Store. Our top-rated team is committed to providing the comfort and efficiency every client needs through industry-leading products and outstanding customer service. Call us at (701) 248-7655, or fill out our contact form to request a free, no-obligation estimate today.